Monday, August 19, 2013

JOBS, the movie

A bit too sexy for my geek!


"It only takes one person to start a revolution. The extraordinary story of Steve Jobs, the original innovator and ground-breaking entrepreneur who let nothing stand in the way of greatness. The film tells the epic and turbulent story of Jobs as he blazed a trail that changed technology -- and the world - forever. Directed By: Joshua Michael Stern and written By: Matt Whiteley."


I was not motivated to go see this movie, Jobs, but my 12 year old son was and its his enthusiasm about Apple products that must have convinced him this was a must see because there were no aliens, comic book heroes or tiny Minions running around causing havoc.


Maybe he is growing up? Either way, we enjoyed an afternoon together.

Jobs was a well made, intelligent looking film replaying a very historical part of our recent history, the birth of personal computers that would find its technology driven tools into society’s every waking moment and every part of our lives.
Thanks Steve Jobs. Or maybe I should say, why did you do this to us? You be the judge on that one.

www.pophistorydig.com

However, as our society is glued to devices, computers, and plugged in excessively we can appreciate the vision of the man this movie is about.


Ashton Kutcher was brilliantly convincing as the strange and eccentric ultimate Geek -- Steve Jobs in this unauthorized version of the story of the Apple CEO superstar. However, as some of the actual characters in the story are involved in another movie about Steve Jobs, they are pointing out this one is not so authentic. 

Although, I found Kutcher's good looks to be distracting since I never thought of Steve Jobs as a handsome man. He was a bit too sexy for my Geek. Just sayin'.
A bit too sexy for my Geek.
Rotten Tomatoes pic
Steve Wozniak, known as Waz was the only other founder I knew about and only because Waz was on Dancing with the Stars, so I kind of new who he was and thought Josh Gad did a good job. He seemed a genuinely nice guy who was taken advantage of in the movie's version of the history of Apple.

I could tell the 12 year old was bit bored by the talking movie, but I enjoyed a trip back, with transition scenes using great musical clips and scenery. Much of the finer details was glossed over as the director assumed our knowledge was adequate but when a new character was brought in it was if the director went, ta dah! Here is so and so! 

I guess I should have brushed up on my computer history but in my day, we didn't have computer history in school and while this was going on I was raising children.

As a whole, the acting was solid, the history accurate enough to tell the story, and I was entertained. However, I might have rather watched this one at home with my own personal bucket of popcorn.

I was also curious to find my fellow audience members where very grey haired and mostly women? Curious.

I like the movie but am looking forward to a 'really happened version' coming out in the future, so this film gets a two and half bucket for entertaining me.





No comments:

Post a Comment