Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Hobbit, Desolation of Smaug!

The Hobbit 2 Review


I declare myself a true Lord of the Rings fan, book by J.R.R. Tolkien and movie. However, I am not an extremist nor do I dress as an Elf for openings. 

Peter Jackson is Tolkien Plus.

He takes the classic stories and makes them better.

I love the books, but in a visual movie experience some things need some tweaking and although some extreme fans will disagree, for me, the Tolkien experience was made better.

I was a skeptic about the Hobbit being stretched into three movies. But, not to worry, Peter Jackson has it under control and is so talented. He has infused romance where there was none, a climactic battle where there was none, and put us in a visual overload of Middle Earth that I thoroughly loved.

The new character, Tauriel, played by Lost's Evangeline Lily, gave the movie what the book lacked -- romance. I was ready to find her character intrusive to the story, but it was not. Just as Jackson tweaked the females in the LOTR series, he found just enough balance between his own make believe and a vacant whole left by Tolkien. It does make Tolkien more female friendly.

My one complaint of the additions is with the popular Legolas played by handsome Orlando Bloom whose character was adapted into this Hobbit story. Not that he was forced in, because the additional historical references from The Silmarillion give enough data to make it appropriate, but it was that Legolas lacked his usual sensitive and charming playfulness which we love. He seemed more aloof and a bit peeved, modeling his Elfish father, although the quick reference to Gimli made me smile.

Bilbo played by Martin Freeman who is nothing more than Bilbo Bagins. He has become the character. I am completely immersed in his scenes as if reading a page of the novel.

The dwarfs are always fun. Thorin's (played by Richard Armitage) authoritative and brooding character is beginning to show some signs of his faulty inner workings which are more exposed in the final chapters of the Hobbit.

Can you say love triangle? Yes, Kili has become a love interest for Elfish hotties -- Tauriel and Legolas. Let's face it, if you had to date a dwarf, he would be my pick. He is played by Aidan Turner whose dark eyes and sexy brogue accent remind me of a young Sean Connery. Ahh, I can't help me Irish roots.
Kili, the sexy dwarf

Beorn was scarier in the movie and well done. I would not want to make him mad. He is a PETA, tree hugger in the most intense and dangerous way!

Although Gandalf played magnificently by Sir Ian McKellen is in this feature, I miss his inter-playing with Bilbo and the dwarfs more, but that is the way Tolkien wrote it, so we only get a taste of their banter in this movie.

Now, let’s discuss the dragon. Benedict Cumberbatch (KAHN!!!) is perfect. His voice and the special effects created by Jackson's team of the monstrous, slithery dragon are at the top of the craft of making that which is unreal….real. They have given us a believable dragon, one that looks frightening but also one who has human characteristics. He is a villain, not from mere size and brawn, but because of his egotistic and volatile nature.   

Fans of the book will be grumbling about the introduction of characters and a showdown scene between the dwarfs and the dragon that were sorely vacant in the written version. I however, think this is the area where Peter Jackson and the writer's team: Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, and Guillermo del Toro glossed over Tolkien’s plot weaknesses and made the Hobbit better.

In the book version, I did not even realized that I was bothered by the fact the journey story line of dwarfs marching through harsh conditions and trials to reach the Lonely Mountain to defeat Smaug, the dragon and reclaim their kingdom was a bit of a letdown when they never really interacted with the dragon, only Bilbo. They do not kill the dragon. They basically watch the action as it goes on around them.

Jackson brings the shortened heroes face to face in an epic battle, displaying dwarf skills of mining to do battle. This is a more fitting ideal which is why I think Jackson is brilliant.

This is a five bucket of popcorn kind of movie. Visually stunning, fun characters, scary (giant spiders were amazingly horrifying!!) and a great building of tension towards what some found a dissatisfying end when the credits popped up.

That’s because they didn't read the book. I, however found it very satisfying, and my only fear is that once this next movie comes out, where will Peter Jackson find anymore Tolkien adventures?

What will a Hobbit fan do?


Normally, I have a four bucket system but for those movies that I deem great, awesome and will be in my collection of movies to watch over and over til I die….they get 5 Buckets!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment